POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Changes to 3.1d "Official Release"? : Re: Changes to 3.1d "Official Release"? Server Time
12 Aug 2024 07:17:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Changes to 3.1d "Official Release"?
From: Mark Gordon
Date: 10 Mar 1999 20:40:50
Message: <36E7206D.6BC513FC@mailbag.com>
Rudy Velthuis wrote:

> I understand you must do some testing, but I don't see why a bug fix in the
> bump map code must be tested on all platforms. This is the core engine, not
> the front-end.

Granted.  Still, as the announcement in
povray.announce.frequently-asked-questions points out, 3.1e will include
some other code cleanup as well, enough to justify testing on all
platforms.  It's no longer just the single three-character fix that was
originally mentioned on this group by Chris Young.  The other changes
shouldn't affect anything, but it's best to make sure before too many
people download something that hasn't been thoroughly tested.

As I see it, we test primarily as a service to users who might otherwise
waste their time downloading buggy code.  If anything, the bug in 3.1d
will probably make the team more cautious in testing.  Inevitably more
bugs will be found (as in any program of sufficient complexity), but
hopefully users will be spared the more eggregious ones.

In the meantime, if you're sufficiently fortunate to own a good C
compiler (thank you, RMS), there's a three-character fix for the bump
map bug while you wait for 3.1e to be released.

--
Mark Gordon
mtg### [at] mailbagcom